Subject: still problems
From: Anonymous
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 13:42 UTC
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 06:42:59 -0700
main index is working now, but programming and social are still out of it.
also a problem to access some other messages (like http://z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=104&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#104 ).

Subject: Re: still problems
From: Retro Guy
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 06:59 UTC
From: Retro Guy@example.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 06:59 UTC
View all headers
Anonymous wrote:

main index is working now, but programming and social are still out of it.
also a problem to access some other messages (like http://z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=104&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#104 ).

I believe I have duplicated the problem on a test site. This test site also connects to it's upstream server via i2p.

I'll be working on it on this site trying to determine what's causing the problem, but currently r.s.programming is also broken on the test site. This is a good thing, it allows me to see the problem in action locally.

I'll get back with info once I do some troubleshooting, but it may take a couple of days.

Posted on: rslight Debian test site
192.168.0.220

From: Retro Guy
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 07:52 UTC
From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 07:52 UTC
View all headers
Retro Guy wrote:

Anonymous wrote:

main index is working now, but programming and social are still out of it.
also a problem to access some other messages (like http://z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=104&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#104 ).

I believe I have duplicated the problem on a test site. This test site also connects to it's upstream server via i2p.

I'll be working on it on this site trying to determine what's causing the problem, but currently r.s.programming is also broken on the test site. This is a good thing, it allows me to see the problem in action locally.

I'll get back with info once I do some troubleshooting, but it may take a couple of days.

I'm currently rebuilding the spool with a modified spoolnews.php that will break out of the download loop and unlink the local file if connection is lost to upstream server. I've also added a log entry if this happens.

I'll continue testing to see if this is hopefully the problem.

www.novabbs.com

From: anonymous
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sat, 30 May 2020 16:23 UTC
From: anonymous@anon.com (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sat, 30 May 2020 16:23 UTC
View all headers
This is a good thing, it allows me to see the problem in action locally.

I saw this one too late, but yes, this is very good.
From your post before I understand that the problem might be in incomplete messsages...
and just I see that you probably rebuild your spool (at least spoolnews reports a lot of duplicates).

z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion

From: Retro Guy
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sat, 30 May 2020 23:32 UTC
From: Retro Guy@example.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sat, 30 May 2020 23:32 UTC
View all headers
anonymous wrote:

This is a good thing, it allows me to see the problem in action locally.

I saw this one too late, but yes, this is very good.
From your post before I understand that the problem might be in incomplete messsages...
and just I see that you probably rebuild your spool (at least spoolnews reports a lot of duplicates).

You're seeing that on def2 logs? I'm pretty sure def2 is connecting to one of my inn2 servers as it's upstream server (i2pn2), not to an rslight server. I haven't changed anything on i2pn2, or any of my spools. Only on a test site right now have I done that.

The duplicate message log entry is harmless. It usually happens when/if you lose your connection to upstream and on next run it starts at the low number again. Using the opportunity to post from the test site now also.

From: anon
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sun, 31 May 2020 01:01 UTC
From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sun, 31 May 2020 01:01:21+0000

You're seeing that on def2 logs?
Yes, and a lot of messages from many groups. That is why I was assuming the spool numbers had changed on your server (which I remember they do from time to time, right ?).

I'm pretty sure def2 is connecting to one of my inn2 servers as it's upstream server (i2pn2), not to an rslight server.

Yes, that is true of course. So it can't have anything to do with your experiments.

The duplicate message log entry is harmless.

That's what I thought. It was just the sheer number of logs entries in a row (I follow that log with tail -f) that made me look twice.

It usually happens when/if you lose your connection to upstream

These connection problems can happen over i2p easily of course. Maybe it would be better if I would connect to my own inn instead ?

If you want I could also try the new spoolnews code, would be interesting to see.

and on next run it starts at the low number again. Using the opportunity to post from the test site now also.

Posted on def4

From: Retro Guy
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sat, 30 May 2020 23:53 UTC
From: Retro Guy@example.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sat, 30 May 2020 23:53 UTC
View all headers
anon wrote:

You're seeing that on def2 logs?
Yes, and a lot of messages from many groups. That is why I was assuming the spool numbers had changed on your server (which I remember they do from time to time, right ?).

I'm pretty sure def2 is connecting to one of my inn2 servers as it's upstream server (i2pn2), not to an rslight server.

Yes, that is true of course. So it can't have anything to do with your experiments.

The duplicate message log entry is harmless.

That's what I thought. It was just the sheer number of logs entries in a row (I follow that log with tail -f) that made me look twice.

It usually happens when/if you lose your connection to upstream

These connection problems can happen over i2p easily of course. Maybe it would be better if I would connect to my own inn instead ?

If you want I could also try the new spoolnews code, would be interesting to see.

I'm using the new spoolnews code right now. I let it create a new spool a few hours ago and I'm monitoring it and comparing to a rslight site that does not use i2p. There are a number of changes to not allow the code to step on itself while trying to do more than one thing during a connection to upstream, including posting. That's why I'm posting here also, as a test.

I moved the i2p tunnel for my test sites to point to this site if you feel like comparing to def2 or another: http://nyccgjh5cjapsf7frrhxqw73gb5hxj2ucau72ztn2oenxwetxr5q.b32.i2p

From: Retro Guy
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sun, 31 May 2020 06:33 UTC
From: Retro Guy@example.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sun, 31 May 2020 06:33 UTC
View all headers
anon wrote:

If you want I could also try the new spoolnews code, would be interesting to see.

That would be great. I've placed 'scripts.tgz' in the rslight download directory on rslight.i2p.

This will extract to scripts/*.php

I needed to modify the other scripts to use different lock file names.

Please extract this into scripts, then kill your nntp server and let it restart.

Then, in /var/spool/rslight, please create a file named 'rocksolid.reload' and give this file permissions that allow the web server user to delete it. This is a semaphore file to tell spoolnews to go back (currently 20) articles and retry to pull them.

Also, this spoolnews.php does a lot more checking to make sure you get the article and if it's broken, hopefully delete it and try again next time. If it works ok, then it will answer a lot of questions for me. If it does work, I still need to clean up spoolnews.php and get that to you.

Here's to hoping it at least does something :)

From: anonymous
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sun, 31 May 2020 21:38 UTC
From: anonymous@anon.com (anonymous)