rocksolid / rocksolid.nodes / Re: Postmill thread

SubjectAuthor
* Postmill threadtrw
+- Re: Postmill threadtrw
+* Re: Postmill threadtrw
|`- Re: Postmill threadanonymous
+* Re: Postmill threadtrw
|`* Re: Postmill threadRetro Guy
| `* Re: Postmill threadanonymous
|  `* Re: Postmill threadRetro Guy
|   `* Re: Postmill threadtrw
|    `* Re: Postmill threadanonymous
|     `* Re: Postmill threadanonymous
|      `* Re: Postmill threadanonymous
|       `* Re: Postmill threadanonymous
|        `* Re: Postmill threadRetro Guy
|         `* Re: Postmill threadanonymous
|          `* Re: Postmill threadRetro Guy
|           `* Re: Postmill threadanonymous
|            `- Re: Postmill threadanonymous
+* Re: Postmill threadtrw
|+- Re: Postmill threadtrw
|`- Re: Postmill threadRetro Guy
`* Re: Postmill threadanon
 `* Re: Postmill threadRetro Guy
  `* Re: Postmill threadanon
   `- Re: Postmill threadanon

Subject: Postmill thread
From: trw@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2019 18:31 UTC

Collecting all the info needed to install a postmill server:

this is the how-to:
https://gitlab.com/postmill/Postmill/wikis/getting-started

installing postgres solution:
http://acmsrfsbsogtuhvk.onion/bbs/main.sh?Group_id=rocksolid.shared.helpdesk&Msg_id=84&Reply_id=Message-ID:%20%3Ca41f8800ac501fb5ff59f422f054a9af@def4%3E&Showthread=y

installing of suitable versions of yarn and nodejs:

https://tecadmin.net/install-nodejs-with-nvm/
https://tecadmin.net/install-yarn-debian/

working on it...

Posted on def4

Subject: Re: Postmill thread
From: trw@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2019 18:58 UTC

Updating php to 7.2 and installing symfony:
https://medium.com/@shahroznawaz/how-to-setup-symfony-4-on-lamp-based-debian-9-server-6edc31d2009c

Posted on def4

From: trw@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2019 19:44 UTC

one things for sure, this is complex, a lot of dependencies and everything....

Posted on def4

From: anonymous@def2.anon (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2019 11:23 UTC
maybe i should use the docker images....
Posted on def2

From: trw@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2019 12:03 UTC

great, now i struggle with using docker images from the gitlab repositories (https://gitlab.com/postmill/Postmill/container_registry). this seems to be above my current skill level...

Posted on def4

From: retro.guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-fnr-this (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2019 22:47 UTC
  To: trw
trw wrote:

great, now i struggle with using docker images from the gitlab repositories
(https://gitlab.com/postmill/Postmill/container_registry). this seems to be above my current skill level...

I'm not a fan of trying to install software that has dependencies on top of dependencies. I've also had trouble with docker in the past. I've found that upgrading a system after installing such software (stuff not in the distro) breaks everything.

Of course some of the software that requires this is pretty cool, lol.

From: anonymous@def2.anon (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2019 09:01 UTC

I'm not a fan of trying to install software that has dependencies on top of dependencies. I've also had trouble with docker in the past. I've found that upgrading a system after installing such software (stuff not in the distro) breaks everything.

That sounds like it would be a pain in the ass to maintain.
But docker or not, pretty much all the modern forum software I looked at (mostly reddit clones), it all has tons of dependencies (usually an increasing number the nicer look and the more features it has).
Looks like it will be easier to do more hacking on ff after all. At least this one is very easy to deploy, stable and customizable. If only I can manipulate the session management so that it works on tor and does not need to work with the local ip addresses. we'll see i guess...

From: retro_guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2019 09:31 UTC
On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 09:01:40 -0000 (UTC)
anonymous@def2.anon (anonymous) wrote:

I'm not a fan of trying to install software that has dependencies on
top of dependencies. I've also had trouble with docker in the past.
I've found that upgrading a system after installing such software
(stuff not in the distro) breaks everything.

That sounds like it would be a pain in the ass to maintain.
But docker or not, pretty much all the modern forum software I looked
at (mostly reddit clones), it all has tons of dependencies (usually
an increasing number the nicer look and the more features it has).
Looks like it will be easier to do more hacking on ff after all. At
least this one is very easy to deploy, stable and customizable. If
only I can manipulate the session management so that it works on tor
and does not need to work with the local ip addresses. we'll see i
guess...

The fact that postmill runs ok without js is nice, but it does sound
like quite an adventure to install.

My idea on ff was to require a password to post every time (like
rslight). If you want to save that at your browser, that's the user's
decision, but I figured if that was required even if someone gets your
session, they can't post as you.

Also, I still would like to mess further with Kareha
(http://wakaba.c3.cx/s/web/wakaba_kareha). It's a nice interface that
I've used before, but of course it would need some sort of link to nntp.

Retro Guy

From: trw@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2019 09:57 UTC

The fact that postmill runs ok without js is nice, but it does sound like quite an adventure to install.

It was for me so far. Guess with a decent howto this would work out, but I could find none, and I don't enough about the technology that was used to figure it all out myself.

My idea on ff was to require a password to post every time (like rslight). If you want to save that at your browser, that's the user's decision, but I figured if that was required even if someone gets your session, they can't post as you.

That would work, and probably be the easiest solution. The downside is that it would most likely also break some features like subscriptions and pm. Making ff to use individual cookies for the user sessions would be harder to accomplish (I guess), but not break anything.
Still I guess I will start to work on one of the solutions soon, I want to have def3 on tor as well.

Also, I still would like to mess further with Kareha >(http://wakaba.c3.cx/s/web/wakaba_kareha). It's a nice >interface that I've used before, but of course it would need >some sort of link to nntp.

written in perl, i see (which would be a plus for me to not have everything done in php). looks nice enough, but requires js switched on to do anything.

hmmm

From: trw@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2019 10:05 UTC

but of course it would need some sort of link to nntp.

for the messages posted on it, there is already an rss interface (http://wakaba.c3.cx/sup/index.rss). i guess that could be used to pipe it to the new server.

rocksolid light 0.6.5f
clearnet i2p tor