Subject: Re: Rocksolid Light thread pages send me to wrong threads
From: retro_guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2019 02:45 UTC
On Thu, 29 Aug 2019 18:30:16 -0700
Retro Guy <retro_guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com> wrote:

On Thu, 29 Aug 2019 23:58:02 -0000 (UTC)
Mei@rslight.i2p (Mei) wrote:

Retro Guy wrote:

On Thu, 29 Aug 2019 13:58:51 -0000 (UTC)
Mei@rslight.i2p (Mei) wrote:

Sometimes when I click the "2" to get to a thread's second page I
end up in a different thread, sometimes one that seems broken
(maybe I'm at the second page of a one-page thread?).

For example, I'm at

http://rslight.i2p/index.php?content=%2Fcompprog%2Farticle-flat.php%3Fid%3D5730%26group%3Dcomp.lang.c%252B%252B
'comp.lang.c++ /

&quot;“Rust_is_the_future_of_systems_programming,_C_is_the_new_Assembly”:_Intel_principal_engineer,_Josh_Triplett&quot;'

"2" links to

http://rslight.i2p/compprog/article-flat.php?group=comp.lang.c++&id=5730&first=11&last=20

Clicking this dumps me in "comp.lang.c / Re: Abstract Syntax Tree
for C programs" with:

Date Subject Author
01 Jan o

Nothing here? I hope I didn't turn over so many rocks they're not
solid any more D:

Interesting. I think I see what the problem may be. Is it only
comp.lang.c++?

If so, the group name itself may be the problem (with the ++).
I'll test more with other groups later (I'm off for a while now)
to see, but maybe it's the problem.

Now, how to fix that?

Thanks for giving an example also!

Retro Guy

Hmm, there's a copy of it in comp.lang.c and the second page of that
one works. . Not so for "comp.lang.c++ / Weird use of maps."
http://rslight.i2p/compprog/article-flat.php?id=5719&group=comp.lang.c%2B%2B
The ID in the URL doesn't seem to matter, but I can get a "merry
christmas" post on the same otherwise broken page if I change the
%252Bs to %2Bs. That's fun :P I don't see any other groups having
this problem. RSLight gets angry if I prod it too much, though, so
I'll leave it at that.

Interesting! I get
"No permission to read!
rec.antiques.radio phono /"
For multi-page posts under rec.antiques.radio+phono

Maybe related? I'll let you dig through the PHP after this :P

It sure looks related (notice missing '+' in group name). Seems
rslight isn't handling this properly. I'll take a look.

Retro Guy

(continuing this thread in rocksolid.nodes)

It should be mostly fixed now. I still need to find instances where it
breaks, and will fix those as I find them.

It's all related to the '+' in the group name. When a url is generated
for a link, it is not encoded (urlencode changes '+' to space).
rawurlencode should work, but does not. I've written my own function to
handle this and it seems to be working fine.

I still need to test posting, and anywhere else a link is generated,
but for now it should be much better.

Thanks for the bug report!

Retro Guy

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2019 03:19 UTC

Mei@rslight.i2p (Mei) wrote:

[...]

I'm testing in a local group. Just found that reply didn't work for the same reason (in groups containing '+'), and have fixed that. Just trying each step to see what needs to be fixed. I'm sure I'll miss something :)

From: Mei@rslight.i2p (Mei)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2019 05:16 UTC

Mei@rslight.i2p (Mei) wrote:

[...]

Ooh, I see you took away the fancy sneaky read-only group I was posting to :P
I guess I'll have to find some other trouble to get into around here >:P

Thanks for looking into that. Finally I know the conclusion to the "What was this person doing with these weird maps?!" saga :D

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2019 06:30 UTC
Mei wrote:

Ooh, I see you took away the fancy sneaky read-only group I was posting to :P
I guess I'll have to find some other trouble to get into around here >:P

Yes :) trw is correct, we agreed to carry those threads to nodes, and retire those two groups. I just never actually removed them, so now I have.

Thanks for looking into that. Finally I know the conclusion to the "What was this person doing with these weird maps?!" saga :D

Hopefully it's fixed, but due to the amount of times in the code the group name is referenced, I may have missed one or more places to apply the fix, so I'll fix those as they show up.

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2019 23:18 UTC
It looks like this bug also applies to my new (lame) search engine.

I'll work on this over the next few days. Right now, links to comp.lang.c++ show as comp.lang.c and of course the article can't be found.

At least I know what the problem is.

From: retro_guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2019 10:17 UTC
On Sun, 8 Sep 2019 23:18:10 -0000 (UTC)
Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy) wrote:

It looks like this bug also applies to my new (lame) search engine.

I'll work on this over the next few days. Right now, links to
comp.lang.c++ show as comp.lang.c and of course the article can't be
found.

At least I know what the problem is.

Retro Guy

Fixed, I believe. Also, made some behind the scenes improvements. I
want to work out major dumb bugs before addressing improving search
term handling. Just making it work right now.

BTW, I have run a search engine before that I wrote the interface for,
but the backend was YaCy. YaCy made me so frustrated I finally just
took the whole thing offline, but I do remember some of the ways I
handled thing with the web interface.