rocksolid / rocksolid.shared.rocksolid / Re: What IS Rocksolid?

SubjectAuthor
* What IS Rocksolid?Anonymous
+* Re: What IS Rocksolid?Neodome Admin
|+- Re: What IS Rocksolid?Anonymous
|`- 1a'";|)12345'"'");|]*%00{%0d%0a<%00>%bf%27'####AnonUser
+* Re: What IS Rocksolid?trw
|`- Re: What IS Rocksolid?Retro Guy
+* Re: What IS Rocksolid?trw
|`* Re: What IS Rocksolid?Retro Guy
| `* Re: What IS Rocksolid?trw
|  `- Re: What IS Rocksolid?Retro Guy
+* novaBBSAnonymous
|`* rock solid is neatYY
| `* well sort ofAnonUser
|  `* Re: well sort ofRetro Guy
|   `* rocksolidbbs.comMe
|    `* Re: rocksolidbbs.comRetro Guy
|     `- Re: rocksolidbbs.com punchlineYY
`* Re: What IS Rocksolid?AnonUser
 `- Re: What IS Rocksolid?AnonUser

Subject: What IS Rocksolid?
From: retrobbs2@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2019 15:31 UTC
So what is it?

It seems like it is a group of forums all working together to provide one large platform.

Can I host an instance of Rocksolid?
Where can I find the source code?
Where is the official website of Rocksolid or where can I find out more?
How is data synced between each instance?

Thx.

Subject: Re: What IS Rocksolid?
From: admin@neodome.net (Neodome Admin)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2019 16:02 UTC
Anonymous <retrobbs2@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com> writes:

So what is it?

It seems like it is a group of forums all working together to provide one large platform.

Can I host an instance of Rocksolid?
Where can I find the source code?
Where is the official website of Rocksolid or where can I find out more?
How is data synced between each instance?

Data is synced over NNTP, same as in Usenet. Rocksolid messages are
posted to rocksolid.* hierarchy, which is currently propagated
worldwide. There is more than one way to receive the messages, you
should choose the one that is adequate for your particular case. Are you
planning to run I2P or Tor only server? Do you wish to have web
interface or you will be good with using Usenet client?

--
Neodome

From: retrobbs2@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2019 20:08 UTC
Ok thx, thats more than enough info to get me started.

Are you planning to run I2P or Tor only server?

I am thinking about a I2P server. But first I will learn how it works.

 Do you wish to have web interface or you will be good with using Usenet client?

I am ok with a web interface but I'd also like to check out the Usenet clients.

From: trw@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2019 21:18 UTC

I am thinking about a I2P server. But first I will learn how it works.

hey that is great to read. we need more of everything in i2p.

I am ok with a web interface but I'd also like to check out the Usenet clients.

we use at least three different kinds of software today to give web access:
-fudforum (only on i2p)
-rslight
-bbs
The two last ones are coded by retroguy (rslight) and me (bbs).
Sources are available for all three, there is also a vm that is more or less plug and play (with inn2 as a news server and rslight and bbs as frontends).
And of course there is also other forum software that speaks nntp.

From: trw@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2019 21:21 UTC

i2p torrent: magnet:?xt=urn:btih:a122a8551927e2c99fed1078cecd149900c71d6b&dn=ffvm+beta+release&tr=http://tracker2.postman.i2p/announce.php torrents provide an easy way to download a file this size, so it is the prefered solution to get the file. if you have no i2p than you have to download directly: http://acmsrfsbsogtuhvk.onion/ffvm_beta.ova http://acmsrfsbsogtuhvk.onion/ffvm_beta.ova.checksum Posted on def4

From: retro_guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2019 22:40 UTC
On Sun, 02 Jun 2019 21:18:42+0000
trw <trw@anon.com> wrote:

I am thinking about a I2P server. But first I will learn how it
works.

Great! As Neodome said, everything is synchronized over NNTP protocol,
inside i2p, tor or clearnet.

hey that is great to read. we need more of everything in i2p.

I am ok with a web interface but I'd also like to check out the
Usenet clients.

You can use any Usenet client. If you register at rslight.i2p, you can
then connect your client as shown at the bottom of this msg.

we use at least three different kinds of software today to give web
access: -fudforum (only on i2p)
-rslight
-bbs
The two last ones are coded by retroguy (rslight) and me (bbs).
Sources are available for all three, there is also a vm that is more
or less plug and play (with inn2 as a news server and rslight and bbs
as frontends). And of course there is also other forum software that
speaks nntp.

If you choose to install fudforum or rslight, you can contact me (or
others) here for a tunnel destination to sync. If you would like to use
bbs, you will need inn running and then ask to sync with myself or
anyone else running an instance (of inn).

Here is the current nodelist info:

i2p Web forums: def2.i2p def3.i2p def4.i2p def5.i2p retrobbs.i2p
novabbs.i2p rslight.i2p

Tor Web Forums: z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion dkzerogt6z6ybhcj.onion
j7zbybfl5ho2rta3.onion

Clearnet Web Forums: www.rocksolidbbs.com www.novabbs.com
news.novabbs.com

NNTP Newsreader Access:

wwcqkwfo5yhe6uribv5tzylk25j5hkdk6gdnyftzd3k7dawlzwca.b32.i2p

asq5mo52aghemn2i.onion:119

news.novabbs.com:119, 563

Create NNTP Account: rslight.i2p dkzerogt6z6ybhcj.onion news.novabbs.com

NNTP Peering is also available in i2p/tor/ clearnet

From: retro_guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2019 23:09 UTC
On Sun, 02 Jun 2019 21:21:20+0000
trw <trw@anon.com> wrote:

i2p torrent:
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:a122a8551927e2c99fed1078cecd149900c71d6b&dn=ffvm+beta+release&tr=http://tracker2.postman.i2p/announce.php
torrents provide an easy way to download a file this size, so it is
the prefered solution to get the file. if you have no i2p than you
have to download directly:
http://acmsrfsbsogtuhvk.onion/ffvm_beta.ova
http://acmsrfsbsogtuhvk.onion/ffvm_beta.ova.checksum

Posted on def4

In addition to the above, I will try to have a tarball for rslight
install in the next day or two. It just requires a web server, php and
a small tweak to php.ini.

As a side note, the authentication module I wrote for rslight also
works for inn and apache auth.

From: trw@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2019 22:07 UTC

in any event, it is easier to run rslight (i think it is the most easy to setup and maintain of the three, and with the fresher code vs. bbs, rl gets in my way too often...). also, as retroguy said already, you don't need to run your own news server with rslight, because you can connect to one of ours. in theory, this should even run on a hosting service like daniels (http://danielas3rtn54uwmofdo3x2bsdifr47huasnmbgqzfrec5ubupvtpid.onion/).

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2019 09:17 UTC
I should have a download link soon for rslight. I have made some major changes to auth, and have cleaned up a lot of bugs.

rslight.i2p (and news.novabbs.com) are currently running the latest rslight for the rocksolid groups.

The biggest change is to authorize users on the client side. They do not need to be accounts on the news server. You only need one news account on the server to run rslight now. Also, I have configured a simple toggle in the config file if you are connecting to a Synchronet news server. If you are, rslight will properly add a To: header, which maintains the ability of the bbs to show messages "To:" you, etc. If you are used to using a bbs, you know what I mean.

Synchronet also does not allow posting 'From:' any user other than the logged in user, so if you toggle the variable, rslight will use the From user to log in (which requires the accounts be on the Synchronet server).

I still need to write a simple README, then install should be reasonably simple.

Subject: novaBBS
From: retrobbs2@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2019 05:28 UTC
Hi there! This is my first visit to your blog!  We are a team of volunteers and starting a new project in a  community in the same niche. Your blog provided us beneficial  information to work on. You have done a wonderful job!