rocksolid / rocksolid.programming / Re: Category-Based Web

SubjectAuthor
* The Modern WebAnonUser
+* Re: The Modern WebAnonUser
|`* Re: The Modern Webanonymous
| `* Re: The Modern WebAnonUser
|  `* Re: The Modern Webanonymous
|   `* Re: The Modern WebAnonUser
|    `* Re: Re The Modern Webtrw
|     `- Re: Re The Modern WebAnonUser
+* Ideas for an Alternative WebAnonUser
|+* Re: Ideas for an Alternative Webanonymous
||`- Re: Ideas for an Alternative WebAnonUser
|+* Handling MediaAnonUser
||+* Re: Handling Mediaanonymous
|||`* Re: Handling MediaAnonUser
||| `* Re: Handling Mediaanonymous
|||  `- Re: Handling MediaAnonUser
||`* Re: Handling MediaAnonUser
|| `* Re: Handling Mediatrw
||  `* Re: Handling MediaAnonUser
||   `* Re: Handling Mediatrw
||    `- Re: Handling MediaAnonUser
|+* Handling Media with StreamsAnonUser
||`- Re: Handling Media with StreamsAnonUser
|+* Media SanitizationAnonUser
||`- Re: Media SanitizationAnonUser
|`* Re: Category-Based WebAnonUser
| `* Re: Category-Based WebAnonUser
|  +* Re: Category-Based Webanon
|  |`* Re: Category-Based WebAnonUser
|  | +- Re: Category-Based WebRetro Guy
|  | `- Re: PrototypeAnonUser
|  `* Re: Category-Based Webanon
|   `- Re: Category-Based WebAnonUser
+- Re: The Modern Webtrw
`- Re: The Modern WebAnonUser

Subject: Re: Category-Based Web
From: anonuser@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-uk5-this (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2019 03:14 UTC
  To: anon
And once you are done
That will take a while :). Still working out the specifications, but I have already started working on a prototype. I'll share my progress once I have it in a somewhat pre-aplha state.

don't forget to include an api for federation to news servers. :-)
Yeah, I'm planning to add federation support to the forum server when I get there. Rocksolid uses NNTP to federate, correct?

From: retro.guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-g00-this (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2019 11:18 UTC
  To: AnonUser
AnonUser wrote:

don't forget to include an api for federation to news servers. :-)
Yeah, I'm planning to add federation support to the forum server when I get there. Rocksolid uses NNTP to federate, correct?

That's correct, just standard nntp servers.

Subject: Re: Prototype
From: anonuser@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-6i5-this (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2019 20:58 UTC
Attachments: lean.zip (application/zip)

I have already started working on a prototype

I've called it "Lean".

Overall I'm not too pleased with it, but more on that later.

To give a quick overview, I've implemented:
- - A binary format specification called LDSF (Lean Data Serialization
Format) and implemented a library with property tests in Haskell
- - A protocol called Lean, a stateless binary protocol that uses the
binary format LDSF
- - A Haskell library called lean-client which is a simple to use client
implementation of the Lean protocol
- - A browser called Lean
- - A handler for the category "text" which gets embedded seamlessly into
the browser (ascii file viewer which highlights links such as
lean://example.i2p/text/some_text_file.txt and makes them clickable)

One thing I'm really not happy about is the delay introduced by launching
the handler programs. e.g. when you browse to
"lean://crowbar.i2p/text/test.txt", it knows it has to launch the program
lean-handler-text because of the /text/ in the URL to handle it, but the
delay of starting a GUI program is not insignificant and therefore quite
noticeable.

This delay is especially prominent on single board computers, _even_ if
the handler program is written in _plain old C_. A GTK+ or Qt GUI program
simply takes a bit to start up and there isn't much one can do other than
pre-launch that program and let it idle around. It currently uses around
3-4MB private memory for the browser and around the same amount per
handler. So the RAM usage per tab would be around 3-10MB depending on the
content and handler.

Right now, because I haven't implemented a "real" server yet, the browser
just acts as if it would be corresponding with a server. This is so that I
can test the interactions between the browser and the handlers, which is
the most important bit right now.

I did not expect embedding would be such a pain in the ass and quite
messy. Getting it working reliably on multiple window managers on Linux is
probably going to be a real nightmare.

I've attached the source code.

SHA512:
2bb31805e9433ccf9d58fc389f1367560c0c3bd6c80e80ef642531274c4bfbb51be0efbb7021be38a82d12945fd6931db970e804e582c5b29b543c7a6faea073

There's a a README.md file in there that explains how to build it.
Currently it only works on GNU/Linux with X11. It's only a prototype,
don't expect things to actually work properly. No idea if I'm going to
continue with this.

Quickstart:
cabal new-build lean lean-handler text
cabal new-run lean
then type into the url bar: lean://crowbar.i2p/text/test.txt

Attachments: lean.zip (application/zip)
From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2019 00:17 UTC

thats some cool shit, my dude. i thought you would spent more time on the specs.
concerning the loading: you could try to select (and recommend to your users) a set of programs which are very lightweight and quick. Could be something ncursed based for the text part, for example. and those who prefer to use bloatware hopefully have the machines and the ram for it.
sounds really like a nice start anyway. Posted on def4

From: anonuser@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-og9-this (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2019 10:01 UTC
  To: anon
thats some cool shit, my dude. i thought you would spent more time on the specs.
Thanks. Specs are far from complete, ultimately I want to specify everything, remove all ambiguity and write them in RFC-format. This is mainly to see if it is any good in practice.

concerning the loading: you could try to select (and recommend to your users) a set of programs which are very lightweight and quick. Could be something ncursed based for the text part, for example. and those who prefer to use bloatware hopefully have the machines and the ram for it.
This is a good point, ncurses based UI would be extremely fast and also very usable with this design. I still want to make a GUI version that is extremely fast on single board computers if possible. I have a few ideas I will be testing.