Subject: Flarum thread
From: trw@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2019 14:46 UTC

For now, just a collection of links I have reviewed, around flarum:
https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/ubuntu-flarum/
https://discuss.flarum.org/d/7454-how-to-install-flarum-in-centos-7-with-nginx-php-fpm-mariadb
https://thecustomizewindows.com/2017/06/steps-install-flarum-ubuntu-16-04/

All those are about the installation, which is not so straight forward, it seems: composer is needed.

Posted on def4

Subject: Re: Flarum thread
From: anonymous@def2.anon (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2019 22:07 UTC
ok, it is not even usable without js, as only part of the thread is displayed without...so that's a no no for me, as i will not implement software that encourages the use of js, much less one that requires it.

btw, i found this funny piece about federation in a thread here:

https://discuss.flarum.org/d/18668-feddle-fediverse-integration-for-flarum/5

"Me in all my research: "Nobody has ever actually attempted to federate a forum except maybe for one obscure project that was abandoned in 2009. There are no conventions, standards, or precedent for this kind of communication. Aaaaaa!"

the guy has not done his homework....i would have made a reply to that, if the site had not first asked for an email address to open an account, and then bombarded me with google captchas (i was coming from tor). bollocks to that !

I will stay lowtech and secure.

From: anonymous@def2.anon (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2019 19:28 UTC
guess i will take a look at https://postmill.xyz/
which has the design and functions close to what i would like to have (instead of ff), plus it is in php, and has some sensible goals:
https://gitlab.com/postmill/Postmill/raw/master/README.md
and a pretty straightforward install:
https://gitlab.com/postmill/Postmill/wikis/getting-started
(although it uses composer as well).

see https://raddle.me/
as an example of a forum that runs on postmill.

what say you, Mr. Retro Guy ?

cheers

trw Posted on def2

From: retro.guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-3ah-this (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019 08:27 UTC
  To: anonymous
anonymous wrote:

guess i will take a look at https://postmill.xyz/
which has the design and functions close to what i would like to have (instead of ff), plus it is in php, and has some sensible goals:
https://gitlab.com/postmill/Postmill/raw/master/README.md
and a pretty straightforward install:
https://gitlab.com/postmill/Postmill/wikis/getting-started
(although it uses composer as well).

see https://raddle.me/
as an example of a forum that runs on postmill.

I haven't seen postmill before. In some ways similar to flarum. Have you tested yet to see how it does without js? I just did a short test and it seems to work ok, which is nice!

From: trw@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019 16:57 UTC

Have you tested yet to see how it does without js? I just did a short test and it seems to work ok, which is nice!

I just made an account on raddle and posted something, everything seems to working nicely, also when using the hidden service (http://lfbg75wjgi4nzdio.onion/). I would say it is worth to spent some time on, and will snoop a bit around in the code.

The community of raddle is huge, by the way, same as for for dread (http://dreadditevelidot.onion/), which I thought only to be a market place. Using the code of dread would also be very nice, but it is not published if I understand right.

From: trw@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019 18:40 UTC

alright, there is even an api (in rust), which should make posting new messages from inn2 very easy:

https://gitlab.com/postmill/postmill-rs

i have no experience with rust, but the api and the examples seem very simple.
right on.

From: anonymous@def2.anon (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2019 15:55 UTC
and they used to have webhooks, which were sending new posts to other http servers as POST requests. man, a web interface parsing that POST request and sending it to the news server is a cakewalk, i have practically all the code laying around for that.

https://gitlab.com/postmill/Postmill/wikis/webhooks

my blocking point is currently that postmill insists on postgresql 9.6, which seems impossible to setup on my vm because of unsolved dependencies. for the same reason, i also seem unable to uninstall it fully.

From: retro_guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2019 00:56 UTC
On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 15:55:44 -0000 (UTC)
anonymous@def2.anon (anonymous) wrote:

and they used to have webhooks, which were sending new posts to other
http servers as POST requests. man, a web interface parsing that POST
request and sending it to the news server is a cakewalk, i have
practically all the code laying around for that.

https://gitlab.com/postmill/Postmill/wikis/webhooks

So would it be correct that the POST request can be to a php (or other
file) on the same host, that can then communicate with the nntp server?

The POST request could contain each header line required, and a body?
That would be easy to work with if received by a php file.