Subject: Libertas Marketplace
From: anonu...@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-m8n-this (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2019 20:38 UTC
From: anonu...@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-m8n-this (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2019 20:38:53 +0000
To: rocksolid.shared.i2p
I just stumbled across mentions of the Libertas marketplace so I looked it up what it is or was and decided the whole thing was interesting enough to share here. It looks like it was an illegal marketplace primarily run on Tor which was under constant DDoS attacks, presumably by law enforcement and maybe even competing marketplaces.

The admin released a statement claiming that all marketplaces running and not under DDoS have been hijacked and are being run covertly by law enforcement to catch criminals. To solve the DDoS problem, the guy then decided to move the marketplace to I2P which is a lot more optimized for hidden services and can't be DDoSd.

The switch to I2P solved the DDoS problems but then the guy decided to shut it down a few months later because not enough people were able to get I2P running because it was apparently too complicated for them. I don't know, but I find I2P pretty easy to use. Maybe I2P just needs something out of the box like the Tor browser that just works without any critical thinking required to get it more popular.

I2P developers are working on an I2P browser, but no idea how good that is.

Subject: Re: Libertas Marketplace
From: trw...@rslight.i2p (trww)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2019 22:06 UTC
From: trw...@rslight.i2p (trww)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2019 22:06:40 -0000 (UTC)
View all headers
are being run covertly by law enforcement to catch criminals

that would not surprise me.

From: AnonU...@rslight.i2p (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 09:56 UTC
From: AnonU...@rslight.i2p (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 09:56:41 -0000 (UTC)
View all headers
AnonUser wrote:

  To: rocksolid.shared.i2p
I just stumbled across mentions of the Libertas marketplace so I looked it up what it is or was and decided the whole thing was interesting enough to share here. It looks like it was an illegal marketplace primarily run on Tor which was under constant DDoS attacks, presumably by law enforcement and maybe even competing marketplaces.

The admin released a statement claiming that all marketplaces running and not under DDoS have been hijacked and are being run covertly by law enforcement to catch criminals. To solve the DDoS problem, the guy then

There are a certain number of tor users that just like to ddos anything they can find. I've run tor sites and all were subjected to this, I just expect it now. It's hard to say if it's his competetors or just people who like to break things.

decided to move the marketplace to I2P which is a lot more optimized for hidden services and can't be DDoSd.

The switch to I2P solved the DDoS problems but then the guy decided to shut it down a few months later because not enough people were able to get I2P running because it was apparently too complicated for them. I don't know, but I find I2P pretty easy to use. Maybe I2P just needs something out of the box like the Tor browser that just works without any critical thinking required to get it more popular.

I2P isn't complicated, but it's more than one step. Install i2prouter, then set your browser to use the proxy. Just two steps, but one too many for some people. If they make it past that, some can't understand the addressbook and wonder why all sites can't be found.

I2P developers are working on an I2P browser, but no idea how good that is.

I think until this happens I2P and Freenet will remain small networks.

From: trw...@i2pmail.org (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 13:29 UTC
From: trw...@i2pmail.org (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 09:29:18 -0400
View all headers
I2P isn't complicated, but it's more than one step.

Also, to give a user experience similar to tor, you should have a well integrated router which means practically that you need to run it 24/7 on a fast connection.
So not so good for laptops which are in standby sometimes, and not good at all for all tablets and mobile devices. So there goes more than 50% of your potential user base out the window.
But in my mind it is not about this darknet vs that darknet anyway, the best is to combine as many of them as possible.
Posted on def3

From: anonu...@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-n5o-this (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 17:17 UTC
From: anonu...@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-n5o-this (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 17:17:06 +0000
To: trw
  To: trw
Also, to give a user experience similar to tor, you should have a well
integrated router which means practically that you need to run it 24/7 on a fast connection.

I do not believe this is the case any more, if you use I2PD. It is true that the Java version takes a good 3-5 minutes to get warm, but the C++ implementation is up and running within 30 seconds. At least that is my experience which led me to switch from the Java to the C++ implementation.