rocksolid / rocksolid.nodes.announce / Re: watermarks

SubjectAuthor
* rslight-0.6.5dRetro Guy
+* Re: rslight-0.6.5dRetro Guy
|`* Re: rslight-0.6.5dAnonUser
| `* Re: rslight-0.6.5dRetro Guy
|  `* Re: rslight-0.6.5dRetro Guy
|   `- Re: rslight-0.6.5dRetro Guy
+- this is your favorite guineapig againAnonymous
+- of, the threads are intact nowAnonymous
+* i have a feature request for rslightAnonymous
|`- Re: i have a feature request for rslightRetro Guy
+* i was too optimisticAnonymous
|`- Re: i was too optimisticRetro Guy
+* also missing indecesAnonymous
|`- Re: also missing indecesRetro Guy
+- status report :-)Anonymous
+- several newsserversAnonymous
+* NoneAnonymous
|`- Re: Noneanonymous
+* still problemsAnonymous
|`* Re: still problemsRetro Guy
| +- Re: still problemsRetro Guy
| `* Re: still problemsanonymous
|  `* Re: still problemsRetro Guy
|   `* Re: still problemsanon
|    +- Re: still problemsRetro Guy
|    `* Re: still problemsRetro Guy
|     `- Re: still problemsanonymous
+- message can be accessed nowAnonymous
+- i don't get itAnonymous
+- still not working, reallyAnonymous
+* charset in subjectsAnonymous
|`- Re: charset in subjectsRetro Guy
+- this was vichanAnonymous
+* first sync after changeAnonymous
|`* Re: first sync after changeRetro Guy
| `* Re: first sync after changeRetro Guy
|  `* Re: first sync after changeRetro Guy
|   `- Re: first sync after changeRetro Guy
+- deleted the spool filesAnonymous
+* that fixed social as wellAnonymous
|`- Re: that fixed social as wellRetro Guy
+- Re: rslight-0.6.5danon
+* the new function works at leastAnonymous
|`* Re: the new function works at leastRetro Guy
| `* Re: the new function works at leastanon
|  `- Re: the new function works at leastRetro Guy
+- so far so goodAnonymous
+* but the message is thereAnonymous
|`- Re: but the message is thereRetro Guy
+* okAnonymous
|`* Re: okRetro Guy
| `* Re: okRetro Guy
|  `* Re: okRetro Guy
|   `* Re: okRetro Guy
|    `* Re: okRetro Guy
|     `* Re: okRetro Guy
|      `* Re: okRetro Guy
|       `* Re: okRetro Guy
|        `- Re: okRetro Guy
+* watermarksAnonymous
|`- Re: watermarksRetro Guy
+* the new spoolnews.phpAnonymous
|`- Re: the new spoolnews.phpRetro Guy
+- seems to be workingAnonymous
+* now can you explain why the bugsAnonymous
|`- Re: now can you explain why the bugsRetro Guy
`- this fixed quite a lotAnonymous

Subject: Re: watermarks
From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2020 06:44 UTC
Anonymous wrote:

rocksolid.nodes:336
rocksolid.nodes.help:75
rocksolid.nodes.announce:229
rocksolid.shared.encryption:40
rocksolid.shared.entertainment:91
rocksolid.shared.freenet:15
rocksolid.shared.general:166
rocksolid.shared.hacking:159
rocksolid.shared.helpdesk:101
rocksolid.shared.i2p:199
rocksolid.shared.linux:69
rocksolid.shared.news:172
rocksolid.shared.offtopic:199
rocksolid.programming:180
rocksolid.shared.rocksolid:259
rocksolid.shared.security:126
rocksolid.social:159
rocksolid.shared.test:1101
rocksolid.shared.tor:112

That seems a little off vs the expectations.

Will try the new script soon.

Yes, it is off. I found the same problem on my test server. But here is the file now:

rocksolid.nodes:336
rocksolid.nodes.help:75
rocksolid.nodes.announce:230
rocksolid.shared.encryption:40
rocksolid.shared.entertainment:91
rocksolid.shared.freenet:15
rocksolid.shared.general:166
rocksolid.shared.hacking:159
rocksolid.shared.helpdesk:101
rocksolid.shared.i2p:199
rocksolid.shared.linux:69
rocksolid.shared.news:172
rocksolid.shared.offtopic:180
rocksolid.programming:64
rocksolid.shared.rocksolid:259
rocksolid.shared.security:126
rocksolid.social:11
rocksolid.shared.test:1101
rocksolid.shared.tor:112

Notice how both programming and social are incorrect in your file. I've made a temporary mod to see if I can correct this problem. If it does, then I will clean up the mod, test again, and send it to you.

Note: You do NOT need to restart the nntp server to replace spoolnews.php

www.novabbs.com

Subject: the new spoolnews.php
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2020 06:48 UTC
is on my server (def2).

--
Posted on def2.i2p

Subject: Re: the new spoolnews.php
From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2020 06:50 UTC
Anonymous wrote:

is on my server (def2).

Great! After it runs once, take a look at the group file again and it should have correct numbers.

www.novabbs.com

Subject: seems to be working
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2020 06:58 UTC
rocksolid.nodes:336
rocksolid.nodes.help:75
rocksolid.nodes.announce:233

Subject: now can you explain why the bugs
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2020 07:40 UTC
were different for different groups ? what was special about social ?

--
Posted on def2.i2p

Subject: Re: now can you explain why the bugs
From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2020 07:58 UTC
Anonymous wrote:

were different for different groups ? what was special about social ?

In 0.6.5c there was a bug that allowed the watermark for a group to keep climbing if there was any error, or whatever. I'm guessing programming and social had something in a message causing the loop to continued past a message, but then kept incrementing the counter (which was the bug).

I fixed this bug in 0.6.5d, but the watermarks would still be in the file after an upgrade. Loading backward 20 messages was fine, but if the watermark was more than 20 ahead, it had no effect.

This version of spoolnews.php checks the upstream server each run, and makes sure the watermark does not exceed the highest post on the server. If it does, it corrects it.

I've added some logging to hopefully show if a message has an error, so if one doesn't show up, I'm hoping the error will be logged. This info will help me see why a message might fail.

It's possible that if you use the semaphore file again, you may pull the missing message in social. From a previous post:
"Then, in /var/spool/rslight, please create a file named 'rocksolid.reload' and give this file permissions that allow the web server user to delete it. This is a semaphore file to tell spoolnews to go back (currently 20) articles and retry to pull them."

Of course if the message-id of the message is in the overview file, it won't download it again. Since I don't know if the message is a problem, I don't know what will happen. </end useless info :)>

www.novabbs.com

Subject: this fixed quite a lot
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2020 08:29 UTC
don't know what will happen.

to reget the messages fixed many threads, including social.

--
Posted on def2.i2p