rocksolid / rocksolid.nodes.announce / Re: first sync after change

SubjectAuthor
* rslight-0.6.5dRetro Guy
+* Re: rslight-0.6.5dRetro Guy
|`* Re: rslight-0.6.5dAnonUser
| `* Re: rslight-0.6.5dRetro Guy
|  `* Re: rslight-0.6.5dRetro Guy
|   `- Re: rslight-0.6.5dRetro Guy
+- this is your favorite guineapig againAnonymous
+- of, the threads are intact nowAnonymous
+* i have a feature request for rslightAnonymous
|`- Re: i have a feature request for rslightRetro Guy
+* i was too optimisticAnonymous
|`- Re: i was too optimisticRetro Guy
+* also missing indecesAnonymous
|`- Re: also missing indecesRetro Guy
+- status report :-)Anonymous
+- several newsserversAnonymous
+* NoneAnonymous
|`- Re: Noneanonymous
+* still problemsAnonymous
|`* Re: still problemsRetro Guy
| +- Re: still problemsRetro Guy
| `* Re: still problemsanonymous
|  `* Re: still problemsRetro Guy
|   `* Re: still problemsanon
|    +- Re: still problemsRetro Guy
|    `* Re: still problemsRetro Guy
|     `- Re: still problemsanonymous
+- message can be accessed nowAnonymous
+- i don't get itAnonymous
+- still not working, reallyAnonymous
+* charset in subjectsAnonymous
|`- Re: charset in subjectsRetro Guy
+- this was vichanAnonymous
+* first sync after changeAnonymous
|`* Re: first sync after changeRetro Guy
| `* Re: first sync after changeRetro Guy
|  `* Re: first sync after changeRetro Guy
|   `- Re: first sync after changeRetro Guy
+- deleted the spool filesAnonymous
+* that fixed social as wellAnonymous
|`- Re: that fixed social as wellRetro Guy
+- Re: rslight-0.6.5danon
+* the new function works at leastAnonymous
|`* Re: the new function works at leastRetro Guy
| `* Re: the new function works at leastanon
|  `- Re: the new function works at leastRetro Guy
+- so far so goodAnonymous
+* but the message is thereAnonymous
|`- Re: but the message is thereRetro Guy
+* okAnonymous
|`* Re: okRetro Guy
| `* Re: okRetro Guy
|  `* Re: okRetro Guy
|   `* Re: okRetro Guy
|    `* Re: okRetro Guy
|     `* Re: okRetro Guy
|      `* Re: okRetro Guy
|       `* Re: okRetro Guy
|        `- Re: okRetro Guy
+* watermarksAnonymous
|`- Re: watermarksRetro Guy
+* the new spoolnews.phpAnonymous
|`- Re: the new spoolnews.phpRetro Guy
+- seems to be workingAnonymous
+* now can you explain why the bugsAnonymous
|`- Re: now can you explain why the bugsRetro Guy
`- this fixed quite a lotAnonymous

Subject: Re: still problems
From: Retro Guy@example.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sat, 30 May 2020 23:53 UTC
anon wrote:

You're seeing that on def2 logs?
Yes, and a lot of messages from many groups. That is why I was assuming the spool numbers had changed on your server (which I remember they do from time to time, right ?).

I'm pretty sure def2 is connecting to one of my inn2 servers as it's upstream server (i2pn2), not to an rslight server.

Yes, that is true of course. So it can't have anything to do with your experiments.

The duplicate message log entry is harmless.

That's what I thought. It was just the sheer number of logs entries in a row (I follow that log with tail -f) that made me look twice.

It usually happens when/if you lose your connection to upstream

These connection problems can happen over i2p easily of course. Maybe it would be better if I would connect to my own inn instead ?

If you want I could also try the new spoolnews code, would be interesting to see.

I'm using the new spoolnews code right now. I let it create a new spool a few hours ago and I'm monitoring it and comparing to a rslight site that does not use i2p. There are a number of changes to not allow the code to step on itself while trying to do more than one thing during a connection to upstream, including posting. That's why I'm posting here also, as a test.

I moved the i2p tunnel for my test sites to point to this site if you feel like comparing to def2 or another: http://nyccgjh5cjapsf7frrhxqw73gb5hxj2ucau72ztn2oenxwetxr5q.b32.i2p

Posted on: rslight Debian test site
nyccgjh5cjapsf7frrhxqw73gb5hxj2ucau72ztn2oenxwetxr5q.b32.i2p

From: Retro Guy@example.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sun, 31 May 2020 06:33 UTC
anon wrote:

If you want I could also try the new spoolnews code, would be interesting to see.

That would be great. I've placed 'scripts.tgz' in the rslight download directory on rslight.i2p.

This will extract to scripts/*.php

I needed to modify the other scripts to use different lock file names.

Please extract this into scripts, then kill your nntp server and let it restart.

Then, in /var/spool/rslight, please create a file named 'rocksolid.reload' and give this file permissions that allow the web server user to delete it. This is a semaphore file to tell spoolnews to go back (currently 20) articles and retry to pull them.

Also, this spoolnews.php does a lot more checking to make sure you get the article and if it's broken, hopefully delete it and try again next time. If it works ok, then it will answer a lot of questions for me. If it does work, I still need to clean up spoolnews.php and get that to you.

Here's to hoping it at least does something :)

Posted on: rslight Debian test site
192.168.0.220

From: anonymous@anon.com (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sun, 31 May 2020 21:38 UTC
ok, it is deployed, let's see.
should i zero the watermarks ?

z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion

Subject: first sync after change
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sun, 31 May 2020 22:22 UTC
tell spoolnews to go back (currently 20) articles and retry to pull them.

This it did, for all groups. Did not change the display of social, though.

Subject: Re: first sync after change
From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sun, 31 May 2020 23:18 UTC
I'm starting to suspect something....

Could you please delete in the spool all the <group.name> - * files (except -overview and -title):

$ ls rocksolid.programming-* -ldh
-rw-r--r-- 1 www-data www-data 4.6K May 31 23:04 rocksolid.programming-1-100.html
-rw-r--r-- 1 www-data www-data    0 May 31 23:04 rocksolid.programming-cache.txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 www-data www-data  38K May 31 13:03 rocksolid.programming-data.dat
-rw-r--r-- 1 www-data www-data   51 May 31 13:03 rocksolid.programming-info.txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 www-data www-data   97 May 31 13:03 rocksolid.programming-lastarticleinfo.dat

Don't delete these:
-rw-r--r-- 1 www-data www-data   56 May 30 12:31 rocksolid.programming-title
-rw-r--r-- 1 www-data www-data  16K May 31 13:03 rocksolid.programming-overview

Let's see what happens.

www.novabbs.com

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sun, 31 May 2020 23:29 UTC
I'm wondereing if vichan is running message_read on an article before rslight tries to display the article, then rslight is just trying to pull it from the spool because it already exists (rslight does that for speed purposes).

Then rslight is never creating the correct cache files and ends up getting lost on those articles (the cache files are incorrect).

If that's the case, we can fix it, but I'd like to see if message_read being run separately from rslight running it is causing a problem.

www.novabbs.com

From: Retro Guy@example.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2020 09:37 UTC
Attachments: vichan_message_read.txt (text/plain)
Could you add the function below (and attached) to /var/www/html/rocksolid/lib/message.inc.php and then call this function instead of message read with vichan?

I'm curious still if we're messing anything up calling message read but not from the rslight code.

I don't have your modified vichan to test with so this is untested. It might just do nothing useful. Also, I kept '$bodynum=0' in the declaration so you don't need to change anything to call it other than the function name.

Also, if you could delete the files mentioned in the previous message in this thread let's see if we get anywhere.

Thanks!

Retro Guy

------------------------------
function vichan_message_read($id,$bodynum=0,$group="") {
  global $spooldir,$spoolpath,$text_error;
  if (!testGroup($group)) {
    echo $text_error["read_access_denied"];
    return;
  }
  $message = new messageType;
   $articlepath = $spoolpath.preg_replace('/./', '/', $group)."/".$id;
   if (file_exists($articlepath)) {
    $rawmessage_fh = fopen($articlepath, "r");
     $rawmessage=array();
     $line=rtrim(fgets($rawmessage_fh), PHP_EOL);
     while(!feof($rawmessage_fh)) {
       if(strcmp($line,".") == 0) {
         break;
       }
       $rawmessage[]=$line;
       $line=rtrim(fgets($rawmessage_fh), PHP_EOL);
     }
    fclose($rawmessage_fh);
   } else {
    return false;
   }
  $message=message_parse($rawmessage);
  return $message;
}

Attachments: vichan_message_read.txt (text/plain)
From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2020 11:48 UTC
Retro Guy wrote:

Could you add the function below (and attached) to /var/www/html/rocksolid/lib/message.inc.php and then call this function instead of message read with vichan?

Just a note: message_read, and most of message.inc.php is newsportal code, so if it seems sometimes that I'm not sure what it's doing, you are correct :)

www.novabbs.com

Subject: deleted the spool files
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2020 12:57 UTC
Could you please delete in the spool all the <group.name> - * files (except -overview and -title):

I did that now, programming displays correctly afaics.
Will try that one social as well.
For the rest will take me a bit.

Subject: that fixed social as well
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2020 13:02 UTC
so if i understand you correctly message_read run independently from rslight might be the cause.

i have to look at the code you posted.