rocksolid / rocksolid.nodes / Re: rslight with leafnode

SubjectAuthor
* rslight with leafnodeRetro Guy
`* Re: rslight with leafnodeanon
 `* Re: rslight with leafnodeRetro Guy
  +* Re: rslight with leafnodeRetro Guy
  |`* Re: rslight with leafnodeRetro Guy
  | `* Re: rslight with leafnodeanon
  |  `* Re: rslight with leafnodeRetro Guy
  |   +- Re: rslight with leafnodeRetro Guy
  |   `* Re: rslight with leafnodeMei
  |    `* Re: rslight with leafnodeRetro Guy
  |     `* Re: rslight with leafnodeMei
  |      `- Re: rslight with leafnodeRetro Guy
  +- Re: rslight with leafnodeRetro Guy
  `* Re: rslight with leafnodeRetro Guy
   `* rslight as nntp serverAnonUser
    `* Re: rslight as nntp serveranon
     `* Re: rslight as nntp serverRetro Guy

Subject: Re: rslight with leafnode
From: Mei@rslight.i2p (Mei)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2020 11:57 UTC
Are links opening in new tabs? They shouldn't be doing that, they don't for me.
No, that's just how I've been navigating: open a tab to one of the board lists then check out each interesting board (thanks for the color coding!) in that tab. Then just move on to the next category. This way it's like, open that tab, then a tab for a board, then maybe another tab per thread or use that tab to look at the active one. The board tab is added in when I can't keep the board list open otherwise (I would have to reload it and that's not always an enjoyable experience over i2p which I use because I am silly).

Navigation also feels somewhat less clear now, more constrained to a narrower view that connects only to the top level. Something like that.
Near the top left below the header there should be a way to go back one level, like:
rocksolid / rocksolid.nodes / rslight with leafnode
with links to go back to the group, or main page.
Mumble mumble still like the feel of having the list there. Maybe I'm just too old to accept change :P

I guess it couldn't just keep getting purely better forever. Eventually it would have overflowed and become pure garbage, then be sold to a government because they love shitty software. Worse, I would run out of things to complain about!
Overflowed is what it was becoming :) and I really hated the groups list on the left. What I disliked the most was you can't easily refresh with frames, and your browser's history just shows 'Rocksolid Light' for every page you've visited, which makes it kind of hard to go back and find something. Making incoming links work was a nightmare, and required javascript.
Right click, h, r! was my friend. True, it's slightly more effort and the frames were eating all of the snacks...

I really hope to clean up the non-framed site and make it work as nicely as the framed site, without all the problems associated with the frames.
We will take that as a promise and riot if it's not done to perfection and released by the date we imagine! No pressure ;)

Speaking of complaining, some groups are showing up twice.
comp.emulators.apple2
comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot
Fixed. Someone (Retro Guy), had those groups listed twice in the groups list. The duplicates should disappear once the list refreshes (automatically every few hours).
That goof! You've got to keep a careful eye on him or he does weird things like that.

Those are the only ones I notice. I bet the duplicates were living under those frames and Retro Guy threw away their homes!
Ok I admit it, they begged for their frames back, but I was cruel!
You monster!

Thanks for the input, I need feedback good or bad so I can hopefully make it work in a useful way!
Retro Guy
I feel bad giving much feedback because there seem to be lots of people who don't. I guess they don't even have to sign up to speak for themselves, though, so if this place ends up catering to my whims then they have only themselves to blame!
rslight.i2p

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2020 11:31 UTC
Mei wrote:

Thanks for the input, I need feedback good or bad so I can hopefully make it work in a useful way!
Retro Guy
I feel bad giving much feedback because there seem to be lots of people who don't. I guess they don't even have to sign up to speak for themselves, though, so if this place ends up catering to my whims then they have only themselves to blame!

I appreciate all your feedback. Without it, I'm just making a site that I think works properly but can't be sure how others feel. You've found bugs that I've fixed that I didn't even know existed, thanks!

news.novabbs.com

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2020 11:34 UTC
My testing with leafnode is working perfectly.

I think it's safe to say that rslight can run fast and well with a leafnode backend, and also this allows you to change news servers without having an issue with article number changes.

So basically, it's a very simple way to run a lightweight node and not be dependent on one particular news server (you can change to another or use multiple if you wish).

One more way to keep a node alive even if their upstream server goes away.

news.novabbs.com

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2020 07:48 UTC
Retro Guy wrote:

While leafnode is working great, I'm still considering just building it all into rslight. Since I've merged spoolnews into the code, it's actually ready to have all articles available immediately now, I just need to add local posting (then it posts to the server behind the scenes).

I was missing some messages when using leafnode and found it necessary to change:

## Here we have another news server which has a very slow connection. For
## that reason, we wait a full minute before we give up trying to connect.
## The default is 10 seconds.
# server = really.slow.example.org
timeout = 60

This is because I'm connecting via i2p and apparently it was timing out. Once I increased the timeout, so far it's working great.

Retro Guy

Subject: rslight as nntp server
From: AnonUser@rslight.i2p (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2020 11:55 UTC
The built in nntp server for rslight is coming along nicely. Still plenty more work to do, but it's getting there. At some point, I hope that rslight sites can talk to eachother as client/server, without the need for leafnode or inn or whatever in between.

Below is a connection example. The 'server' is simply an rslight install: --------------------------------
Trying ::1...
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.

200 Rocksolid Light NNTP Server ready (no posting)
list
215 Newsgroups in form "group high low status"
rocksolid.nodes 195 159 n
rocksolid.nodes.help 52 30 n
rocksolid.nodes.announce 56 47 n
rocksolid.shared.encryption 36 36 n
rocksolid.shared.entertainment 88 76 n
rocksolid.shared.freenet 10 10 n
rocksolid.shared.general 139 112 n
rocksolid.shared.hacking 140 115 n
rocksolid.shared.helpdesk 71 57 n
rocksolid.shared.i2p 187 162 n
rocksolid.shared.linux 61 56 n
rocksolid.shared.news 127 101 n
rocksolid.shared.offtopic 151 129 n
rocksolid.programming 40 37 n
rocksolid.shared.rocksolid 251 171 n
rocksolid.shared.security 107 91 n
rocksolid.social 3 3 n
rocksolid.shared.test 844 784 n
rocksolid.shared.tor 103 93 n
..
group rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
211 81 171 251 rocksolid.shared.rocksolid group selected
article 250
220 250 <a45b5638e1160ae6ea8727719e109c90@def4> article retrieved - head and body follow
From: anon <anon@anon.com>
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Subject: Re: ffvm torrent released
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 20:45:29+0000

well, yes, that is correct.the software shared in this torrent is outdated and should not be used anymore.
any new node admin is advised to use rslight (*) or fudforum (in case you like adventures and enjoy hacking around in php code).
a vm with a preinstalled debian and inn2 could be shared as well on request. let us know.

*
http://dkzerogt6z6ybhcj.onion/getrslight
http://rslight.i2p/getrslight
http://news.novabbs.com/getrslight Posted on def4
..
quit
205 closing connection - goodbye!                                                                                     Connection closed by foreign host.

news.novabbs.com

Subject: Re: rslight as nntp server
From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2020 20:22 UTC

you do your own newsserver in php ? that is way cool....

can't wait to see this work.

From: retro.guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-xll-this (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2020 22:00 UTC
  To: anon
anon wrote:

you do your own newsserver in php ? that is way cool....

So far it's working reasonably well. I have XOVER working now, and rslight is able to use it as it's nntp server for everything except posting at this time.

I'm using a test site that is connected via i2p. The rslight nntp client, spoolnews, connects to the server via i2p in the background, and the rslight nntp server is what rslight connects to to get articles, etc.

can't wait to see this work.

It's fun to work on. I hope I can get it working reliably well over the next few weeks.

www.rocksolidbbs.com

From: retro.guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-g1d-this (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2020 23:08 UTC
  To: Retro Guy
Retro Guy wrote:

anon wrote:

can't wait to see this work.

It's fun to work on. I hope I can get it working reliably well over the next few weeks.

Just testing now with a regular news client and it's working fine. Pan and Knode as readers are having no problem with it. It spawns properly so multiple connections work fine.

I'm already running rslight as a client and having no trouble. Next comes posting.

www.rocksolidbbs.com

From: retro.guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-plk-this (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2020 23:21 UTC
Attachments: rslight1.png (image/png)
Here's Rocksolid Light NNTP server as being used in Knode (attached)

Knode does a weird xover but I have it working fine.

Attachments: rslight1.png
From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 05:37 UTC
The test server at:
http://nyccgjh5cjapsf7frrhxqw73gb5hxj2ucau72ztn2oenxwetxr5q.b32.i2p

is now running rslight using the internal nntp server. So far it's working reasonably well. I need to run it on this site for a while to find bugs and work them out. One nice thing is I can also connect to it with any newsreader locally, which is cool.

In the background it collects articles via i2p from a remote server, but all rslight connections are to the local server, which makes it quite fast. It's like a very light leafnode install but faster, and gets it's config from the rslight install.

When done, this can just as easily connect to another rslight site instead of a real nntp server, which would allow chaining of rslight sites. I ran a site side by side with this, the other connecting to a remote site via clearnet, and this method (built in nntp). This is much faster in response times, as would be expected.

Now I need to just use it and watch it break so I can find each bug that comes up. Once it seems reliable, I'll add the ability to post.

news.novabbs.com