Subject: Clearnet nodes run ff ?
From: trw@i2pmail.org (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2019 13:43 UTC
HI Retro Guy,

I just realized yesterday that you run ff on your clearnet addresses (I use those very seldom). Have you found another way to deal with the session stuff ?

Subject: Re: Clearnet nodes run ff ?
From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2019 09:10 UTC
trw wrote:

HI Retro Guy,

I just realized yesterday that you run ff on your clearnet addresses (I use
those very seldom). Have you found another way to deal with the session stuff ?

I've run ff on clearnet from almost the beginning of rocksolid. I've never had
a session issue over clearnet, only tor. I'm guessing ff was designed and
tested for clearnet, so it does perform well as far as sessions go.

My ff install is still not available (directly) via tor, and I don't really
have any plans to make it available. I've been directing the .onion addresses
to rslight installs instead.

From: anonymous@def2.anon (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 19:41 UTC
I've run ff on clearnet from almost the beginning of rocksolid. I've never had
a session issue over clearnet, only tor. I'm guessing ff was designed and
tested for clearnet, so it does perform well as far as sessions go.

Well I never had a reason to use the clearnet addresses until very recently, so this setup was new to me. :-)

Concerning the design of ff, it is documented in the help forum of ff that session collisions were a problem even back then (only one report, and the dev said he would wait for more reports before fixing it :-] ). Of course the likelihood of a collision is much smaller than on a tor hidden service, where the ip is always the same.
But say two people would connect from the same computer pool in a company or university, they would have the same profile (same ip from the proxy and same useragent because same basic setup) and stumble into each others sessions.

My ff install is still not available (directly) via tor, and I don't really
have any plans to make it available. I've been directing the .onion addresses
to rslight installs instead.

Well, I used tor when I connected to the clearnet addresses, and sure enough I was on ff. Maybe a new exit node by chance that is not recognized ? I was trying to reproduce it later, but then landed on the rslight service.

cheers

trw Posted on def2