rocksolid / rocksolid.nodes / Re: nice work on the overboard for rslight

SubjectAuthor
* nice work on the overboard for rslightanonymous
+* Re: nice work on the overboard for rslightRetro Guy
|`- Re: nice work on the overboard for rslightRetro Guy
`* Re: nice work on the overboard for rslightRetro Guy
 `* Re: nice work on the overboard for rslightRetro Guy
  +* Re: nice work on the overboard for rslightanonymous
  |+* Re: nice work on the overboard for rslightRetro Guy
  ||`- Re: nice work on the overboard for rslightanonymous
  |`* Re: nice work on the overboard for rslightRetro Guy
  | `* Re: nice work on the overboard for rslightAnonUser
  |  `* Re: nice work on the overboard for rslightRetro Guy
  |   `* Re: nice work on the overboard for rslighttrw
  |    `* Re: nice work on the overboard for rslightRetro Guy
  |     `* Re: nice work on the overboard for rslightRetro Guy
  |      `* Re: nice work on the overboard for rslighttrw
  |       `* Re: nice work on the overboard for rslightRetro Guy
  |        `* Re: nice work on the overboard for rslightRetro Guy
  |         `* Re: nice work on the overboard for rslightRetro Guy
  |          `* Re: nice work on the overboard for rslightRetro Guy
  |           `* Re: nice work on the overboard for rslightRetro Guy
  |            `* Re: nice work on the overboard for rslighttrw
  |             `* Re: nice work on the overboard for rslightRetro Guy
  |              +- Re: nice work on the overboard for rslighttrw
  |              `* Re: nice work on the overboard for rslighttrw
  |               `- Re: nice work on the overboard for rslightRetro Guy
  `* Re: nice work on the overboard for rslightMei

Subject: Re: nice work on the overboard for rslight
From: retro.guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-obq-this (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2019 09:19 UTC
  To: anonymous
Just managed to get the 'snippet' selection (part of the message show in overboard) to be consistent between standard Usenet posts and Synchronet posts.

I really wanted to have the same code for both, and it seems to be working.

I'm running retrobbs using the newest overboard code, and it's getting it's info from the spool created by my spoolnews script. So far so good.

From: anonuser@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-10ru-this (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2019 11:35 UTC
  To: Retro Guy
looks good. also the fact that it runs without a news server on the same machine is very nice...it becomes easier and easier to set up new nodes...

From: retro.guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-10mi-this (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2019 10:31 UTC
  To: AnonUser
I've made some changes to the overboard to make it more consistent, and easy to configure.

Now it runs in the directory serving the groups, and has a simple toggle if getting it's info from inn or spoolnews. Also, it seems to work consistently with inn or Synchronet as a server for spoolnews.

I moved it to the directory as I plan to release as part of rslight in the next release. rslight now has a toggle in config for whether to use the overboard or not. If it's not 'true', it's just not there, very simple.

I do plan to bundle spoolnews, but it's config will be separate from rslight, as it's really a separate thing. It is working very well, and allows overboard to run just like it's on an inn server. There are probably other uses unrelated to rslight, but I'll leave that to others who may want to give it a try.

Hopefully, the next release will be within the next two weeks.

From: trw@i2pmail.org (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2019 18:48 UTC
good to read all that. soon as you have the next release of rslight i will upgrade def2. i also see that the version of the overboard that you run on rslight does a better job displaying the relevant lines of the message.
Posted on def3

From: retro_guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2019 03:08 UTC
On Thu, 03 Oct 2019 14:48:10 -0400
trw <trw@i2pmail.org> wrote:

good to read all that. soon as you have the next release of rslight i
will upgrade def2. i also see that the version of the overboard that
you run on rslight does a better job displaying the relevant lines of
the message. Posted on def3

overboard is now fully integrated into rslight. It can be
enabled/disabled in the main config file (so just one config file).

That is also where you specify if using spoolnews or not. overboard
will be disabled by default in the release, but just toggle it in the
config file.

I'm trying to make the release appropriate for new install or upgrade
(same file), so will be installing/upgrading on a test site before
release within the next week or two.

This version (0.6.3), should be installed as new and configured. There
are a lot of config file changes, and some css file changes as well.
Also, it enforces the new structure of config being outside of web
accessible directories (default /etc/rslight/) Spoolnews will run there
also, so your spool would be /etc/rslight/spoolnews/articles/*, which
is where overboard will look if you enable spoolnews.

I realize /etc/ isn't the best place, but I really don't want to have
rslight scattered all over the file system. Just /etc/rslight and the
web root. If this is a really bad idea, let me know now because I plan
to release this way unless a better idea is brought to my attention.

Retro Guy

From: retro_guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2019 03:43 UTC
On Sun, 6 Oct 2019 20:08:52 -0700
Retro Guy <retro_guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com> wrote:

This version (0.6.3), should be installed as new and configured. There
are a lot of config file changes, and some css file changes as well.
Also, it enforces the new structure of config being outside of web
accessible directories (default /etc/rslight/) Spoolnews will run
there also, so your spool would be /etc/rslight/spoolnews/articles/*,
which is where overboard will look if you enable spoolnews.

I realize /etc/ isn't the best place, but I really don't want to have
rslight scattered all over the file system. Just /etc/rslight and the
web root. If this is a really bad idea, let me know now because I plan
to release this way unless a better idea is brought to my attention.

The more I think about it, partitions may limit /etc. Maybe I just just
write the spool to /var/spool/news/articles. If you need spoolnews, I
would assume there is nothing in that directory anyway.

I'll think about this some more.

Retro Guy

From: trw@i2pmail.org (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2019 09:22 UTC
why not use /tmp for the overboard ?
Posted on def3

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2019 08:16 UTC
trw wrote:

why not use /tmp for the overboard ?
Posted on def3

I thought about that, but was concerned it could be deleted on a reboot or whatever. I think I'm going to go with /var/spool/news/articles.

In any case, it can easily be changed in the script if someone wants to put it somewhere else.

From: Retro Guy@example.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 11:34 UTC
rslight 0.6.3 is very close to release.

I installed a clean Debian vm and installed and configured there. Just making final checks to try not to overlook any packages that may need to be installed.

So far just php-mbstring and sharutils.

This is meant to be a new install, it would be harder to upgrade than to just install 0.6.3 and configure. Install and set up should be easy. Took me less than 5 minutes from untar to viewing messages. Spoolnews is also included in the download.

Should be ready soon (next few days).

Posted with Rocksolid Light

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 11:40 UTC
Retro Guy wrote:

This is meant to be a new install, it would be harder to upgrade than to just install 0.6.3 and configure. Install and set up should be easy. Took

Also, registered usernames will not be affected. If you already have a userbase, I provide a script to quickly add keys to each user to support encrypted messages. It's a one time run script to just bring already registered users up to date.

rocksolid light 0.6.5f
clearnet i2p tor